What is the Montessori Hundred Board?
The Montessori Hundred Board is a fundamental material in Montessori, designed to teach children essential mathematical concepts. This grid of one hundred squares is a visual representation of numbers from 1 to 100. Its purpose extends beyond mere counting; it helps children recognize number patterns, understand number relationships, and develop critical mathematical skills that lay the foundation for more advanced concepts.
- Invite the child, introduce the hundred board, and bring the material to the work space
- Arrange the number tiles into rows by tens (all 10s in a row, then all 20s, etc.) They do not have to follow the correct numerical order in their row.
- Proceed to place the 1-10 in a row at the top of hundred board in a numerical order.
Note: Name each tile as you place it and work from left to right on each row.
- After placing the first row, verify if the order of the tiles is correct.
- Continue to add another row of tens until the board is complete, if the child can place the row of number tiles before it.
- Show the control card and tell the child to refer to it as a guide for sequencing.