Sandpaper letters are used to introduced the graphic symbols for each key sounds. You can read more about this in my Montessori Language Dwyer Approach Series. Here, I’d be sharing how I DIY-ed our sandpaper letters and the patterns I used. Scroll to the bottom for the free printable.
How to DIY Sandpaper Letters
Note: These instructions are specifically for the free template (which includes letter patterns and card outlines). You can modify as desired.
- Print desired letter patterns on A4 paper (preferably 70-80 gsm or less)
- Paste printed side of the pattern on the backside of the sandpaper
3. Cut the sandpaper letters individually, then set aside.
4. Print the desired card outlines on colored letter size paper (to cut and laminate after) OR on any paper as pattern for wood or hardboard cutting (to paint accordingly).
The following card outlines are suitable for print letters:
- 11 small letters – 4.6 x 6.2 inches: a e i o u c s x r v n
- 13 medium letters – 5.5 x 7.5 inches: t l g h d k y q b z j p f
- 2 large letters – 4.6 x 7.5 inches: m w
- 11 small double letters – 4.6 x 8.3 inches: ie or er ou ar oo ue ee ai au oa
- 5 large double letters – 7.5 x 8.3 inches: qu sh th ch oy
5. Spray glue at the backside of the cut letters for more even spreading. I used this multipurpose spray adhesive and it’s great! I use it for different things. It’s also quick to dry. Make sure to do this in an open space, away from things you don’t want to get sticky too.
6. Place the letters on the right side to hold the card with the left hand; or place them on the bottom center to use with both hands.
7. Repeat for all symbols.
The free printable Sandpaper Letters DIY Patterns are HERE. You will receive:
- lowercase alphabet print and cursive patterns
- lowercase phonograms cursive patterns
- card outlines for lowercase and uppercase letters
Please do not share or sell the files.
Kindly redirect them to this site to also get this freebie. Thank you!
If you’re interested in less cutting, try out this other version of Sandpaper Letters DIY templates.
If this article has been helpful, pin it and share the link to your friends. Would love to know if you used this template for your own DIY, let us know! TAG @MindSproutPH on your IG stories and receive special discount at our store!