Once the child has learned about the different types of invertebrates, particularly the Mollusks, they might be interested in learning about the parts of the snails.
Snails, or gastropods, have a shell that looks like a spiral. They carry this shell on their back. Their body and foot are inside the shell.
Before learning about their parts, have the child observe an actual snail (or a model) to help them have a more concrete grasp on the subject.
- Materials to Support Learning the Parts of the Snail
- Printable Activities to Learn the Parts of the Snail
- Explore Other Parts of Invertebrates
- Explore Other Parts of Vertebrates
Materials to Support Learning the Parts of the Snail
Includes knobs for easier holding and parts involving different parts of the animal, which helps isolate the part from the whole.
You can use the snail object if you already have a set of life cycle miniature objects. Here’s what I recommend:
You can also provide printable materials to support this learning and help the child know the different parts of the snail.
Printable Activities to Learn the Parts of the Snail
The Parts of a Snail Activity helps kids improve their reading skills and learn the right names for animal parts, which helps them build their vocabulary. It also allows the child to know some of the snail’s features. This also encourages the appreciation for nature.
1. Montessori Zoology 5-Part Nomenclature Cards
This learning material have a gray border around each card. Color coding is used to tell apart the different classes of the Animal Kingdom in Montessori. The color gray is used to identify the class of mollusks, such as the snail.
This includes a set of cards with 5 parts including the definitions and a booklet with descriptions about each part of the snail. This is designed for children between the ages of 3 and 6.
Zoology Nomenclature Cards are unique to Montessori classrooms and provide an engaging alternative to textbooks and worksheets. They are a beautiful resource that encourages children to learn concepts, rather than rush through to finish a worksheet.
2. Control Chart and Fill-in Posters
After learning the individual parts of the snail, display the wall chart and invite the child to make her own wall chart of the parts of the sponge with these printable poster sheets of 3 different charts:
- With color and label
- Without color, with label
- Without color, without label
*Sign-up to our newsletter and get the control charts for free! Or get these in a bundle with other vertebrates control charts HERE at $2/set!
3. Montessori Zoology Definitions Booklets
For further work on the Mollusks, you can introduce another animal in the phylum and study the different parts with nomenclature cards as well.
- Match pictures with labels.
- Create pictures, labels, and definitions.
- Create a booklet of animal parts nomenclature.
- Create a wall chart of animal parts nomenclature.
- Repeat the same procedure for other animals in the phylum.
Explore Other Parts of Invertebrates
- Sponges: Parts of the Sponge
- Arthropods: Parts of the Butterfly
- Worms: Parts of the Earthworm, Flatworm, Roundworm
- Echinoderms: Parts of the Starfish
- Cnidarians: Parts of the Jellyfish
Explore Other Parts of Vertebrates
- Fishes: Parts of the Fish
- Amphibians: Parts of the Frog
- Reptiles: Parts of the Turtle
- Birds: Parts of the Bird
- Mammals: Parts of the Horse