Once the child has learned about the different types of invertebrates, particularly the Echinoderms, they might be interested in learning about the parts of the starfish.
Starfish have a circular body shape, with body parts arranged around a center point. They can regenerate lost body parts and even entire bodies from just one arm. They use tube feet to move, grab onto things, and catch prey.
Before learning about their parts, have the child observe an actual starfish (or a model) to help them have a more concrete grasp on the subject.
- Materials to Support Learning the Parts of the Starfish
- Printable Activities to Learn the Parts of the Starfish
- Explore Other Parts of Invertebrates
- Explore Other Parts of Vertebrates
Materials to Support Learning the Parts of the Starfish
You can also provide printable materials to support this learning and help the child know the different parts of the starfish.
Printable Activities to Learn the Parts of the Starfish
The Parts of a Starfish Activity helps kids improve their reading skills and learn the right names for animal parts, which helps them build their vocabulary. It also allows the child to know some of the starfish’s features. This also encourages the appreciation for nature.
1. Montessori Zoology 5-Part Nomenclature Cards
This learning material have a pink border around each card. Color coding is used to tell apart the different phyla of the Animal Kingdom in Montessori. The color pink is used to identify the phylum of echinoderms, such as the starfish.
This includes a set of cards with 5 parts including the definitions and a booklet with descriptions about each part of the starfish. This is designed for children between the ages of 3 and 6.
Zoology Nomenclature Cards are unique to Montessori classrooms and provide an engaging alternative to textbooks and worksheets. They are a beautiful resource that encourages children to learn concepts, rather than rush through to finish a worksheet.
2. Control Chart and Fill-in Posters
After learning the individual parts of the starfish, display the wall chart and invite the child to make her own wall chart of the parts of the sponge with these printable poster sheets of 3 different charts:
- With color and label
- Without color, with label
- Without color, without label
*Sign-up to our newsletter and get the control charts for free! Or get these in a bundle with other vertebrates control charts HERE at $2/set!
3. Montessori Zoology Definitions Booklets
For further work on the Echinoderms, you can introduce another animal in the phylum and study the different parts with nomenclature cards as well.
- Match pictures with labels.
- Create pictures, labels, and definitions.
- Create a booklet of animal parts nomenclature.
- Create a wall chart of animal parts nomenclature.
- Repeat the same procedure for other animals in the phylum.
Explore Other Parts of Invertebrates
- Sponges: Parts of the Sponge
- Arthropods: Parts of the Butterfly
- Mollusks: Parts of the Snail
- Worms: Parts of the Earthworm, Flatworm, Roundworm
- Cnidarians: Parts of the Jellyfish